Task16. Fill in the gaps with the correct preposition or particle where necessary.
1. They caught a glimpse _____ a dark green car. 2. He was accused ___ murder. 3. We won't charge ____ delivery if you pay now. 4. Doctors claim to have discovered a cure ____ the disease. 5. She always told me exactly what she thought, and I respected her _____ that. 6. Large areas of the jungle are now threatened ___ destruction. 7. The government denied the existence _____ poverty among 16- and 17- year-olds. 8. The singer denies ______ he copied the tune from an old Beatles song. 9. I've tried to forgive him _____what he said. 10.I got arrested _____ careless driving. 11.From the corner of my eye, I glimpsed ______ a man running out of the store. 12.Most therapists are probably guilty ______ at least one of these faults at some point in their career. 13.I have great respect _____ Tom's judgment. 14.Martin claimed ______he was with friends at the time of his wife's murder. 15.I was made ______ wait for over an hour. 16.She doubted _____this was where she wanted to be. 17.Mom made him _______wear a hat because of the wind.
Task 6. Fill in the gaps with the correct preposition.
1. You can’t blame all your problems ____ your working class background. 2. A number of factors account _____the differences between the two scores. 3. The equipment has the additional advantage _____being easy to carry. 4. The hospital has launched an inquiry to find out who was to blame _____ the mistake. 5. When a marriage breaks up it is very hard to say who is ____ fault. 6. I’m sorry, I opened one of your letters _____ mistake. 7. She can’t work much ______ account of the children. 8. I had mistaken friendship _____ love. 9. You are not allowed to camp here ____ permission. 10.One reason ______ students should study a variety of subjects is to become knowledgeable citizens. 11.We will deal with these problems _____ order _____ priority. 12.They think the fire was started _______ purpose. 13.________ some reason or other, he couldn't come today. 14.It will be impossible to come ____ _____ the solution now. Let’s leave it till tomorrow. 15. We can help you find a solution ______ all your financial problems.
Task 7. Fill in the gaps with the correct word.
1. Citizens are _______ the blame on the government for acting too late. 2. If you _____ inflation into account, we actually spend less now. 3. It’s demoralizing to work for someone who constantly _____ fault with you. 4. Many schools don’t ______ full advantage of the Internet. 5. Who ______ you permission to come in here? 6. Both sides are trying to______ a peaceful solution. 7. Why do I always ______ the blame for everything? 8. If you follow the easy step-by-step instructions, you really can't ____ wrong. 9. We _____ no intention of giving up. 10.She finally ______ permission to visit her husband in jail. 11.No damage had been ______, and we pushed the van back onto the road. 12.The management has to ____ part of the blame for recent failures. 13.The computer ______ the list in alphabetical order by last name. 14.It was a difficult equation, but it took her only five minutes to ______out the solution. 15.Did you ____ that on purpose? 16.To treat people this way is the wrong thing to ____. 17.Don’t worry, it’s an easy mistake to _______.
Task 5. Fill in the gaps with the appropriate phrasal verb.
1. Don't be (believe sth that is not true) ______________ by products claiming to help you lose weight in a week. 2. Three men have (escape) _________ of a top security jail. 3. The jury was unable to (introduce) _____________ a verdict on the remaining six defendants. 4. Police are (investigate) ____________ the disappearance of two children. 5. Police said that several people had (offered ) _____________ with information about the attack. 6. They (give no punishment) _______her______ lightly because she’s only sixteen. 7. The bomb (exploded) ___________ at 9.30 in the morning. 8. They (leave quickly) _______________ with our television and our stereo. 9. Can I just (write down) ____________some details ________? 10.Congress has (to stop asking) __________ on its demand for on an increase in defense spending. 11.All essays must be (give) ________ by Tuesday. 12.And, indeed, plenty of military personnel are guilty of breaking laws and (not to be punished) __________ it. 13.She got (delay) ______ at work. 14.A gang of boys (followed) ________________ her, calling her names.
Task 4. Fill in the gaps with the correct phrasal verb.
1. I ______________ the robbers for more than a mile. 2. They have repeatedly broken the law and _____________ it. 3. Sorry I’m late, but my train was __________________. 4. I was ___________________ for speeding, but I was _________with a warning. 5. Don’t be _______________ their promises. 6. She said the government would bring in the necessary legislation to __________ the problem. 7. The gun _________________ while he was cleaning it. 8. Neither side will ______________ because both believe they are right. 9. I wrote a letter of complaint, and the airline have promised to ____________ the matter. 10.The kids _____________ when they heard us coming. 11.The police _____________ our addresses and phone numbers. 12.Six prisoners have _____________a top-security jail in Yorkshire. 13.The National Blood Service is anxious for more donors to _______________. 14.Please __________________ your keys when you leave the hotel.
A. 1. Prosecutors believe they have enough e_________ to convict Smith. 2. The police knew she was guilty, but they had no p__________. 3. As we s____________, there is a problem with the braking system, and it will be replaced. 4. The judge asked the jury if they found the accused g_______ or not g____. 5. My d________ to leave school when I was only 15 was the worst mistake I ever made. 6. The foreman read the v_________ of guilty fourteen times, one for each defendant. 7. If you break the r______ you will be punished 8. Nine men were a______ in drug raids on Saturday. 9. Japan has very strict l_____ against guns and drugs. 10.The j_____ dismissed their claim for compensation. 11.They're going to c_____ him with dangerous driving. 12.The murder s________ will be charged soon. 13.The j_______ found him guilty of murdering three people. 14.It is clear that "liberty and j______ for all" is still a goal rather than a reality. 15.He has no r_______ to speak to me like that!
1. 79-year-old man was struck with a hammer by a b________ who broke into his home. 2. If you break the r_________, it just spoils the whole game. 3. It now seems likely that Mason was sent to prison for an offence he never c______________. 4. The r____________ opened the strongroom and packed the cash into bags. 5. Duke said he was being p____________ by hostile media. 6. Warning! Car t____________ are operating in this area. 7. Brown will be s___________ for a series of murders. 8. No one has yet been p___________ in connection with the murder. 9. His father was attacked by a gang of h___________ in a back street. 10.Two of the boys have been i__________ for theft. 11.Under criminal law people are presumed i______ until proved g________. 12.Any w___________ to the incident are asked to contact Berkeley police. 13.As they fled, two men were wounded as the attackers fired at b__________.
Task 3. Fill in the gaps with the English equivalent of the Russian word.
A. 1. The evidence (доказывает) _____________ clearly and beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty. 2. You'll need your passport as (доказательство)________ of identity 3. The jury's not guilty (вердикт) ________ was criticized all over the country. 4. Refugees are accorded special protection under international (право) ______ 5. You have to follow the (правила) ______ precisely in order to lose weight fast 6. Twelve people involved in the demonstration have been (арестованы) _______ and charged. 7. Many people no longer have confidence in the criminal (справедливость) _______ system. 8. Police (арестовать)___________ 26 demonstrators. 9. The (свидетель) ________ told the court that she had never seen either of the accused before.
B. 1. The police now have another name to add to their list of (подозреваемых) ________. 2. Most violent crimes are (совершаются) ________by young men under the age of 25. 3. Do you ever wonder if you made the right (решение) ________? 4. The (свидетель) ________was asked to identify the defendant in the courtroom. 5. In most cases the (воры, угонщики) ________ looked for cars which had been left with bags or other valuables clearly visible. 6. A High Court (судья) ________found him (невиновным) _______. 7. The (присяжные) _______ returned its verdict after five hours’ discussion. 8. The jury found Sewell (виновным) ________ and he was sent to prison. 9. The government (заключило под стажу) ________ all opposition leaders. 10.Human (права) _______ advocates say racial minorities continue to be (преследовать) _________ 11.Some countries will (приговорить) ________ you to seven or more years in prison for drug offences.
1. Dwayne has been _____________ for drunk driving again. 2. Athough they were in the area on the day of the robbery, no one _________them. 3. He was the only person in the room when the money disappeared - what more _________________ do you want? 4. The man they arrested last night has been _____________ with murder. 5. They're ________ the law by employing such young children 6. The __________, Dorothy Jackson, was being held in the Tarrant County Jail. 7. We finally came to a firm __________ on the matter. 8. The judge will hand down a _____________ in January, the newspaper reported. 9. It's up to the courts to uphold __________ - you can't take the law into your own hands. 10.Detectives believe that the crime was ____________ at around 7.30 pm. 11.32-year-old man from London is the prime __________ in the murder investigation. 12.The ___________ are less strict in the local county court. 13.People have been looking for ____________ of life on other planets for years. 14.It's against the _____________ to be drunk in public.
B. right judge jury prosecute persecute corporal punishment robber burglar thief vandal hooligan sentence imprison innocent guilty witness bystander
1. The ______________ sentenced her to ninety days in prison. 2. You had no _____________ to take money from my purse! 3. Countries all over Europe have ____________ gypsies for centuries. 4. It stood unused for some time and was burnt down by _________ in 1970. 5. The ____________ was made up of seven women and five men. 6. Police believe the ___________ got in through the kitchen window. 7. ___________ took a marble statue from the church sometime last night. 8. The priest had been ____________ for preaching the gospel. 9. The court found him ____________ and he was released. 10.A 23-year-old woman was found ___________ of murder in the Central Court today. 11.In court, a __________ said he had seen O'Grady hit the woman in the face. 12.Several innocent ___________ were killed by the blast. 13.The guilty were each given a life ______________. 14.Armed ____________ broke into the shop and demanded money from the till. 15.Football _____________ caused over £30,000 of damage in bars and restaurants near the stadium. 16.In 1987, California prohibited ______________ in schools. 17.Shoplifters will be ____________. 18. 60 prisoners have been ________________ to death.